Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Picking your jaw up off the floor takes two hands

I'm not sure if I would say I am truly depressed or supremely disenfranchised.

Like a cartoon character, I had a day best characterized by eyes bulging and jaw hitting the floor.  The day before a jury docket, and as I walked through the office after lunch, I was stopped by a co-worker. A Judge had brought him up to the bench and asked him about a case he knew nothing about. He knew nothing about it, because I am the attorney of record (AoR) and all parties were aware of this. A lawyer on another (civil administrative) case for that client had shown up unannounced and presented a motion on the criminal case where I represent the client. This is a big no-no.  Rulez: Or Why This Is Verboten

No calls, no smoke signals, no email. Just SURPRISE! So, I called the other attorney and explained that the appropriate thing to do, before setting an absconding client back on the docket (MY docket, on a date I would only be told in passing), is to CONTACT ME.

Response: I was too busy. What do you mean this is a violation of the most basic rules surrounding the practice of law? (Ok, the second sentence I added.)

After completing the call, I noticed my mother had sent me a text. On a jury week. During office hours. With an emoticon red heart.

This could only mean one thing: that she had won the lottery and we were moving to Paris.

So, I looked over the text after deciding that in all fairness, I couldn't move halfway around the world until Friday. I had to AT LEAST finish the jury trial that starts tomorrow.

Content of her text distilled for ease of reading: Your Aunt died. Funeral is on Saturday.

Jaw dropped. We have gone over this so many times a blog could be dedicated to instances of her poor choice in forum. Lemme 'splain to you: text messages are not the appropriate way to convey the devastating news that a loved one is dead, UNLESS you cannot reach someone by any other means. Phone call.

People cannot be taught good choices.




No comments:

Post a Comment